The holiday season is just around the corner and it’s that time of year again where we get together with family and friends and exchange gifts. Sure we enjoy each others company but lets be honest, we are looking forward to two things, the food and the gifts! I think we can all agree that receiving and giving gifts is sometimes the best part of the holidays regardless of your age. As a kid, I always hoped to get a remote control car or a the latest Super Nintendo game but now that I’m older I tend to lean more towards gift cards instead of the traditional gifts. Don’t get me wrong I love gadgets, whether it be the latest Apple product or the new 4K TVs. But, if you spend most of your time online, like I do, then you most likely use various web services, like Netflix.
If you don’t know what Netflix is then you’re probably been living under a rock. In the beginning, the company had its downfall with the separation between DVD’s and streamed digital movies but as time went on success came with it. Netflix is now responsible for a large majority of online traffic on the internet. Whether you want to watch the top 10 Christmas movies of all time or catch up on Breaking Bad, Netflix is one stop shop for all your movie and TV show streaming needs. Netflix also provides gift cards for various occasions like Christmas or birthdays.
I personally, love Netflix, it helps me keep up the latest movies and TV shows with ease. However, would a subscription to Netflix be a good Christmas gift? I think so! Why not get your family member or friend something they can enjoy for a few months. It may not be a physical present but it sure does keep people entertained. Plus, every time they stream a movie they will be reminded of you. So this holiday season you may want to think about giving your loved-one a Netflix gift card or others call it – a gift subscription.
Here is how you give a Netflix gift card as present.
- Go to the Netflix Gift page.
- Click on Buy Gift.
- You will be navigated to a page were you can select the number of months you would like to add to your gift subscription. You can pick 1 month for $7.99, 2 months for $15.98, 3 months for $23.97, 6 months for $47.94 or 12 months for $95.88.
- After you have picked an amount to add on to the gift subscription you will have to pick out design for the card. (This is NOT a physical card but a digital gift subscription sent out from Netflix.) Choose one that fits the season or occasion. Then click Next.
- On the next page you can personalize your card by adding a personal message. You will also have to enter your email address and the email address of the person that will be receiving the gift subscription.
Once you have selected the design of the gift card you will continue on to a page where you will need to create an account with Netflix. Choose your desired email address and password. (If you’re an existing member of Netflix you can log in using the link found on the upper right corner.)
- Once you have logged in or registered for an account you will have to purchase the gift subscription using your credit card. Visa, Mastercard and American Express are all accepted for payment. You can also use Paypal to make the purchase. (You will not be charged at this point.)
- Next you will get to review your purchase.
- Once the purchase of the Netflix gift subscription has been finalized you will have the option to print out or email the gift card to the recipient.
The steps to get an Netflix gift card/subscription is pretty straightforward. However, you can get more bang for your buck if you let the recipient know that they can get an extra month for free by signing up for their free trial before they ever redeem their gift subscription. This will ensure them with an extra 30 days of unlimited movie and TV show streaming.
How to redeem your Netflix gift card.
If you were wondering how you could redeem your gift card so you can start watching your favourite TV shows and box-office hits just simply go to gift page. On the bottom of the banner you will see a space where you can enter in your gift card code, as show in the image below.
There are a few things you should know before you make a purchase.
- You can give the subscription gift to someone who is already a member.
- Gift subscriptions never expire.
- You CAN NOT buy a gift subscription for anyone outside of your own country. For example: if you live in the United States and would like to gift someone in Canada, you won’t be able too.
- Currently Netflix is available in the U.S, Canada, South America, Ireland, United Kingdom, Norway, Finland and Denmark.
So this holiday season or any occasion throughout the year try out a subscription to Netflix as a gift.
UPDATE: It seems as though Netflix doesn’t sell Gift cards from their website any more. In early 2014 they decided to stop selling their digital gift cards on their website and instead has started selling them in retail stores throughout America, Canada, the UK and other countries. So now you have a few options to buy Netflix subscription in 2015.
Option 1: You can find out what local retail stores are selling the gift cards near you by using their locator website. Most likely you will be able to find them at your local Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Ralphs and other well-known stores.
Option 2: If you don’t want to go through the hassle of buying in stores than Best Buy would be your best option. The cards (regardless of the amount) always come with free shipping. They are also the only website that sells Netflix gift cards officially online.
Options 3: If your looking for gift cards at a discounted price then eBay is a good choice. On eBay you there are plenty of sellers auctioning off Netflix gift cards at a discounted price. Not only would they ship it to you but they’ll do it for free ( in most cases). Their are sellers that also sell codes directly. So there is no need to wait for a card. If you are planning on gifting the subscription then I would recommend getting your hands on physical card rather than a code.
If you know of any other purchasing options please leave a comment below.